BACK

KTU Central Administration Building

(former Agriculture Bank)

6°C
K. Donelaičio g. 73, Kaunas
Listen
Routes

Although industry grew rapidly during the period of the First Independent Republic of Lithuania, the country remained an agricultural land. The Agriculture Bank, established in 1924, was the largest institution representing this area, so it’s not surprising that a new plot of land was chosen in the very centre of the city.

Karolis Reisonas (Kārlis Reisons), who designed the bank, took into account the fact that the building would be in the vicinity of the War Museum, so his goal was to not overdo it with the exterior. Subtle, clear, classicist forms is a feature of the tendencies of rationalism and functionalism which also prevailed in the architecture of banks. The interiors were also subtle, something brought about for both economic and a hygienic reasons. There’s no expensive equipment, all types of gypsum decorations and ornaments in the newly built building of the Agriculture Bank, as even though it might look beautiful inside, in the end it simply gathers dust, wrote the newspaper Lietuvos aidas (Echo of Lithuania) in 1935.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Lithuania also settled in the building that was completed 1935. Such a neighbourhood doesn’t look strange, given the fact that it was not necessary to build buildings for government needs in a temporary capital. Everyone was waiting for Vilnius to be given back to Lithuania.

The Germans that occupied Lithuania established a commissariat of the area in the bank’s building. The Soviet authorities later moved Kaunas University here (which later became Kaunas Polytechnic Institute). The layout of the building was adapted to suit everyone’s needs. In 1964, the interior was decorated with Stasys Ušinskas’ stained glass, called Studentai praktikoje (Students in Practice).

Today, the Kaunas University of Technology Central Administration Building (as well as the KTU Museum) continues to operate in the building. The fact that a long time ago farmers’ fates were decided here can only be predicted from the bas-reliefs that are up high and that depict the heads of peasants. Their author, Bernardas Bučas, was the husband of the poet Salomėja Nėris.

In 2015, the European Commission awarded 44 objects of Modernist interwar architecture in Kaunas the European Heritage Label, among them the former building of the Agriculture Bank. We invite you to visit other objects that have been awarded the European Heritage Label, including the Vytautas the Great War Museum, the M. K. Čiurlionis National Museum of Art, the Pažanga (Progress) and Pieno centras (Milk Centre) palaces and the oldest cinema in Lithuania, Romuva.

KTU Central Administration Building

(former Agriculture Bank)

K. Donelaičio g. 73, Kaunas

Although industry grew rapidly during the period of the First Independent Republic of Lithuania, the country remained an agricultural land. The Agriculture Bank, established in 1924, was the largest institution representing this area, so it’s not surprising that a new plot of land was chosen in the very centre of the city.

Karolis Reisonas (Kārlis Reisons), who designed the bank, took into account the fact that the building would be in the vicinity of the War Museum, so his goal was to not overdo it with the exterior. Subtle, clear, classicist forms is a feature of the tendencies of rationalism and functionalism which also prevailed in the architecture of banks. The interiors were also subtle, something brought about for both economic and a hygienic reasons. There’s no expensive equipment, all types of gypsum decorations and ornaments in the newly built building of the Agriculture Bank, as even though it might look beautiful inside, in the end it simply gathers dust, wrote the newspaper Lietuvos aidas (Echo of Lithuania) in 1935.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Lithuania also settled in the building that was completed 1935. Such a neighbourhood doesn’t look strange, given the fact that it was not necessary to build buildings for government needs in a temporary capital. Everyone was waiting for Vilnius to be given back to Lithuania.

The Germans that occupied Lithuania established a commissariat of the area in the bank’s building. The Soviet authorities later moved Kaunas University here (which later became Kaunas Polytechnic Institute). The layout of the building was adapted to suit everyone’s needs. In 1964, the interior was decorated with Stasys Ušinskas’ stained glass, called Studentai praktikoje (Students in Practice).

Today, the Kaunas University of Technology Central Administration Building (as well as the KTU Museum) continues to operate in the building. The fact that a long time ago farmers’ fates were decided here can only be predicted from the bas-reliefs that are up high and that depict the heads of peasants. Their author, Bernardas Bučas, was the husband of the poet Salomėja Nėris.

In 2015, the European Commission awarded 44 objects of Modernist interwar architecture in Kaunas the European Heritage Label, among them the former building of the Agriculture Bank. We invite you to visit other objects that have been awarded the European Heritage Label, including the Vytautas the Great War Museum, the M. K. Čiurlionis National Museum of Art, the Pažanga (Progress) and Pieno centras (Milk Centre) palaces and the oldest cinema in Lithuania, Romuva.

Your comment

Send
Comment successfully added