BACK

Palanga old bus station

11°C
Vytauto g. 94 / Kretingos g. 1, Palanga
Listen
Routes

Palanga is one of the oldest settlements in Lithuania, mentioned in written sources as far back as 1161. Between the 15th and 17th centuries it was the most important port in Lithuania. From 1819 until the First World War, Palanga and many surrounding settlements belonged to the Curonian Governorate, and until 1921 it was a part of Latvia. The process of the port city becoming a resort accelerated in 1824 when a colonel in the tsar’s army, Count Mykolas Tiškevičius (Michał Tyszkiewicz), became the owner of Palanga. Vytautas, S. Darius and S. Girėnas, and J. Basanavičius streets became the centre of the new city, and the latter street also became the main thoroughfare. The new architecture of the resort (which officially got this title in 1909), which is mostly wooden, matched the scenic seaside nature. This trend continued throughout the interwar period.

After the settlement of international disputes with Latvia, the resort towns of Palanga and Šventoji became part of Lithuania only in 1921. The beach of the resort belonged to Count Feliksas Tiškevičius (Feliks Tyszkiewicz) until 1935. Can you imagine how many people wanted to come here after the dunes went to the state?

Holidaymakers needed to arrive in comfort, so it was decided that the resort should have a bus station, thus the block between Kretinga and Vytautas streets and the old market square was given over for the purpose. Nobody felt the sentiment for the old houses that stood here, and the new project gave way to the rapid modernisation of Palanga.

The station was designed by the architect Vadim Lvov, who was born in Kybartai and who later studied in Berlin. He was invited from Šiauliai to come to Palanga by the Burgomaster of the resort Jonas Šliūpas. The first architect of Palanga worked tirelessly for several years. He created the present Ramybė (Peace) cinema, the villa Šilelis, regular houses, stages for events during the summer, supervised the construction of Šventoji port and designed the first masonry bus station in Lithuania with an adjoining hotel and a cafe.

The impressive Modernist station that opened in 1932 was ready for a large number of holidaymakers and helped the resort recover after the great fire of 1938. As the number of buses increased, the roads leading in and out of the resort were repaired.

In 2014, on the outskirts of Palanga on the Klaipėda highway, a new bus station was opened. The Palanga Tourism Information Centre now operates inside the building of the old bus station. In 2010 it was included in the Register of Immovable Cultural Valuables of the Republic of Lithuania. There are plans to further develop the territory of the former station, which is located in an attractive spot, into a new attraction centre.

Palanga old bus station

Vytauto g. 94 / Kretingos g. 1, Palanga

Palanga is one of the oldest settlements in Lithuania, mentioned in written sources as far back as 1161. Between the 15th and 17th centuries it was the most important port in Lithuania. From 1819 until the First World War, Palanga and many surrounding settlements belonged to the Curonian Governorate, and until 1921 it was a part of Latvia. The process of the port city becoming a resort accelerated in 1824 when a colonel in the tsar’s army, Count Mykolas Tiškevičius (Michał Tyszkiewicz), became the owner of Palanga. Vytautas, S. Darius and S. Girėnas, and J. Basanavičius streets became the centre of the new city, and the latter street also became the main thoroughfare. The new architecture of the resort (which officially got this title in 1909), which is mostly wooden, matched the scenic seaside nature. This trend continued throughout the interwar period.

After the settlement of international disputes with Latvia, the resort towns of Palanga and Šventoji became part of Lithuania only in 1921. The beach of the resort belonged to Count Feliksas Tiškevičius (Feliks Tyszkiewicz) until 1935. Can you imagine how many people wanted to come here after the dunes went to the state?

Holidaymakers needed to arrive in comfort, so it was decided that the resort should have a bus station, thus the block between Kretinga and Vytautas streets and the old market square was given over for the purpose. Nobody felt the sentiment for the old houses that stood here, and the new project gave way to the rapid modernisation of Palanga.

The station was designed by the architect Vadim Lvov, who was born in Kybartai and who later studied in Berlin. He was invited from Šiauliai to come to Palanga by the Burgomaster of the resort Jonas Šliūpas. The first architect of Palanga worked tirelessly for several years. He created the present Ramybė (Peace) cinema, the villa Šilelis, regular houses, stages for events during the summer, supervised the construction of Šventoji port and designed the first masonry bus station in Lithuania with an adjoining hotel and a cafe.

The impressive Modernist station that opened in 1932 was ready for a large number of holidaymakers and helped the resort recover after the great fire of 1938. As the number of buses increased, the roads leading in and out of the resort were repaired.

In 2014, on the outskirts of Palanga on the Klaipėda highway, a new bus station was opened. The Palanga Tourism Information Centre now operates inside the building of the old bus station. In 2010 it was included in the Register of Immovable Cultural Valuables of the Republic of Lithuania. There are plans to further develop the territory of the former station, which is located in an attractive spot, into a new attraction centre.

Your comment

Send
Comment successfully added